Friday, December 7, 2012

Turn that frown upside down...


I'm pretty sure anyone who has Multiple Sclerosis goes through (or has previously experienced) bouts of depression, frustration, and anger due to the diagnosis and the unpredictability. I thought that those things would not happen to me... until it did. Yes, it was a late onset of depression, anxiety, and anger but it all occurred at once and I learned to deal (still learning).

2005 is when I was diagnosed with MS but the depression, anger, and anxiety did not set in until early 2012. I had a lifelong dream of becoming a dentist then the dream was yanked away from me because of the tremors that I suffer due to my MS. Doctors told me that I can go to dental school but won't be able to become a dentist.


What would be the purpose of spending all of that money to not get the desired outcome? I later spent 5 months being depressed. Depression is not uncommon for MS patients and others who do not have MS or any disability at all. MS in many ways and times forces a change of direction and plans. I asked myself, what am I good at? Told myself I need to perform a self inventory. As I inventoried my skills, capabilities, and experiences and came to a conclusion. I concluded that I am very good at assisting, listening, and empowering people.

Do I like that? Yes.  Am I willing to change the path I wanted to follow? Yes.  After all, being of some sort of positive assistance has always been extremely exuberant and gratifying to me. To know that I helped someone, is one of the things that bring me the most joy. I have talked a few out of suicide, motivated some to pursue education and higher education, others to acknowledge the importance of their health (mental and physical), and etc.

In 2009, while visiting a church in New Jersey, a member of the congregation asked "What is it that you like to do? What do you want to do for a living?" I replied, "I like to help people. I just want to help."

Interesting enough, after the diagnosis in 2005, the visit to NJ in 2009, the devastating news from the doctors about dental school in 2012, deep depression, and self inventory; it all came full circle to me. I also came to realize that both being a dentist and uplifting / empowering / motivating people are achieving the goal of my answer of "I just want to help." Yes they are both different ways to exemplify help, but help comes in different forms and is employed differently.

Moreover, I started my new journey to achieving success. With that realization, I proceeded to "turn my frown upside down."
"Success is a journey, not a destination"--Unknown.



2 comments:

  1. Britni,

    I'll look for you in the stars because this is where you are headed with this message of hope definitely applies to life, living and the pursuit of our dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and the message that I have for everyone with my stories of struggle/progress because "Without struggle there is no progress"- Frederick Douglas. I would like to and motivate others to know they can complete goals with determination no matter if they have a disabality/limitations or not. It can be done. :-)

      Delete