Saturday, December 22, 2012

The intensified unbalancing act... Ain't I a woman?

Many women believe that they are less of a woman if they cannot wear high heels. If that is the case, does that make me less of a woman because I can no longer wear high heels due to multiple sclerosis.

That is one of the issues that constantly arises with women and MS. No I cannot wear high heels. 3 in -6in is what I used to wear. Balance issues are what I am faced with on a daily basis because of my diagnosis.

To wear something that compromises and heightens the unbalanced intensity level is not an optimal idea. Guaranteed I am going down. Whether it be forward, backward, left or right... I'm going down. The fall from the unbalancing act is one that can be and should be avoided. Falling is always a possibility with MS (woman or man) for reasons the patient cannot control due to our equilibrium being off, weakness, and dizziness all induced by the diagnosis. Wearing the heels brings on additional problems, injuries (serious and not so serious). Possible wounds, scars, loss of consciousness, broken bones... I definitely pass.

Yes, I miss wearing my high heels :-(. But not that much after considering the dangerous possibilities:-). Those possibilities definitely outweigh missing the high heels. With confidence, I most definitely pass.

Its amazing how something that was once used as punishment for women has become fashion and the same subject it was used to punish can feel less of a woman if she cannot wear them.

Although, I will wear my heels if I remain seated and pose for pictures. :-)

There it is again... Determination & alternative finding.


So am I less of a woman? Absolutely not. Do shoemakers do us wrong in the flat department? In my opinion, some do (but not all). I just rock the heck out of some boots.... With a flat sole of course.:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment