Tuesday, December 18, 2012

... Take your time, do it right.

"Fast not an option" Take your time. I have found ways to get around needing to move fast. I need to allow myself more time to complete whatever it is that requires me to move fast. To be in a rush would not be advised. Go figure, The "rush" would actually take longer. You're probably wondering, how is that? Rushing would cause anxiety, frustration, and anger. Who wants that, right? Jogging how I used to, or power walking/jogging/running period... That's comical. Not only do I feel awkward but I look it too. Distance, not sure exactly how far I can go before I start walking with a limp and/or need a break. Going up flight(s) of stairs is fine and it's exercise. Going down that same flight(s) is terrifying. My right knee locks up and I need not to have a person behind me, moreover, one who is not in a rush. Or else here comes the anger, frustration, and anxiety (the three amigos).

They are a staple throughout this illness. Taking a break from whatever it may be that causes the appearance of those close friends (some times their cousin "tears" comes along for the trip ); breaks always relax me. ease the bodily tension that I experience, and prepares me to finish what I started. I always finish anything I start. Quitting is not an option. I live by that motto with anything that I attempt/complete. (Being stubborn actually has a good quality). But you do not need to be as stubborn as myself to live by this.

All you need is the motivation, inspiration, and determination. The fact that I have MS is actually one of my driving forces that makes me live by "Quitting is not an option". It makes me think "I will not be defeated by this monster.  That's just one way that I have/do turn my devastation into motivation.  I have to change my plan of attack, but I will not be defeated." No matter how long it takes or doesn't take, I will not quit. I tell myself, I can do this. May take me some time, but I've got this." It's okay for cousin tears to come along for the ride because you're human and it is an innate emotion as well as a release. Just do not quit. If whatever it is that you are doing is not time sensitive and you resume the task the next day or week (remember don't quit) that's okay because you did not quit.

That should be on your list of things to do/not do: 1. Don't quit, 2. Complete the task. My mother has always told me...

 "Step back and take a break, a few breaths, then go at it again."

If needed take a few breaks. I physically move slower, that's fine because it doesn't take away from my heart, mind, personality, and character.  I am not multiple sclerosis and visa versa.  I'm Britni N. Dunn. 

Thanks to my wonderful loving parents/family/great friends, support groups, learning from others, the S.O.S Band, and the story of the Tortoise and the Hare, I have learned to "...take my time and do it right"

"It may be difficult but it is not impossible.  It does slow me down but it does not stop me." 
 
 I'm still the same ole' B.

No comments:

Post a Comment