Sunday, December 23, 2012

I think I can, I know I can, I will... Keep going until...

Even though I walk slowly, sometimes with a limp, and not too far for too long, I CAN and will walk until I can no longer (I will take as many breaks as needed).

I have weakness when I stand for long periods of time, I CAN stand and will do so until I can no longer.

Tremors occur all day, everyday with intensities ranging from 1-10 which make it difficult to pick up/grab things, turn pages, but it is difficult not impossible. I CAN and will pick up/grab things until I can no longer.

Fine motor skills are far less than perfect, but I CAN do what requires fine motor skills until I can no longer.

Memory is not too great during exacerbation, high points of stress that may even cause an exacerbation, some people have a bad memory in general,  I CAN play memory games to strengthen the memory.After all, the brain/memory is a muscle and needs to be strengthened just as any other muscle in the body does.  Hvae fun and excercise at the same time.

Coordination is off and cannot dance anymore amongst other things, I CAN  and will do the two step until I can no longer do so.

Those are just a few of the symptoms. True, I am stubborn but I will ask for help when it is needed. My aunt Robin came to take care of me in San Francisco during my college years when I had my worst exacerbation. Robin said to me...

"Brit, you're going to have to put your pride to the side and let us help. Switch your medication if the new medication has the possibility of greater positive outcomes than that specific side effect you're focusing on because that side effect might not even happen and your current medication isn't working."
 
Ask. That is exactly what I have done and continue to do when needed.
"A closed mouth doesn't get fed."
 
What I say is not to bring you or your day down and evoke a pity party, it is to spark your determination and achievement when completing positive life & everyday tasks, how to approach obstacles and hurdles to know you CAN do it just do not give up on what it is. If I CAN do it with all that I go through daily with my diagnosis... so CAN YOU, whether you have a specific diagnosis or not.

Challenges welcomed and appreciated because I am a fighter (so are you) and will not be defeated. Why? Because I refuse to let MS stop me. Besides, there are disability adaptions, customizable ones too. Looks are not everything but I CAN  and will customize them to make it fit my personality and "speak to me." 
 
I still smile, crack jokes/laugh at jokes, go out and enjoy the beauty in a days or evenings worth and will do so until...

"Its not about the one who fights the most or hits the most, its about the one who throws the most hits."- Dr. Steve Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment